Saturday, June 21, 2014

introductions

I hate meeting new people.


Introductions are difficult and I'm always worried that I will misrepresent myself. Now, it may be surprising to some, knowing this information, that I work retail. I meet new people every day, so what's the big deal?


The difference is that the people who I meet on a daily basis are complete strangers. They hear a little about me, enough to make them comfortable, but they never really get to know me. I've grown comfortable with this reality and now real interactions with people are difficult. I don't want to come across as something that I'm not, and I constantly worry that perhaps I said the wrong thing, or maybe that new person just didn't like me.


There are only a select few who know me intimately: my parents, my spouse, my siblings, and my two close friends, one from high school days, and the other more recently acquired. Sprinkle in a few moderate acquaintances and other family members, and you basically have my entire social network.


So why write? Why expose my thoughts to various prying eyes?


It's not that I think I have something to say that others have not already said, but more that I need an outlet. A place to put my thoughts down on proverbial paper, to share fun stories and photos, and express myself.


This is that place.


Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment